A friend of mine told me that it would be helpful to have a vocabulary list blog that explained "what the eff" I am talking about so here goes. I will add more to this post throughout the rest of the semester as things come up.
Alpaca: Llama
Aula: classroom
Avioines: Airplanes
Ay Chai Chai: I´m freezing
Bailando por la boda de mis sueños: The reality show of which my host brother Fernando is a participant
Camino: A walk or a road
El Campo: The countryside
CEMOPLAF: Centro Medico de Orientación y Planificación Familiar: Medical Center for orientation to family planning
Chevre: Cool!!
Chompa: Sweater
Cotacachi: A pueblo 10 minutes north of Otavalo which is an hour and a half north of Quito
El Teler: fabric workshop
Finca: a country estate owned by wealthy people
Fundacion CIMAS: My school which I usually call Cimas
Futbol: Soccer
Hacienda: a piece of land used to grow crops. Workers tend to live on the property as well
La Mariscal: The neighborhood in Quito where all the bars and discos are as well as the Mercado Artesinal
Matador: Bull Fighter. I did not realize that there was bull fighting here but apparently it is somewhat popular.
Mentira: A lie
Mercando Artesinal: Artisan market located in La Mariscal
El Metro: The bus that runs down Prensa Avenue from the North to the South. I take it every day to get to school and it only costs $.25
La Mitad del Mundo: A pueblo 20 minutes north of Quito and also the middle of the world
MSID: Minnesota Studies in International Development. It is the program I am on.
Otavalo: A pueblo to the north of Quito known for its wool products and music
La Pasantia/Internado: Internship
Piña: Pineapple
Quichwa: Indigenous language spoken by the majority of Indigenous people in Ecuador
Red Macrena: Manejo Comunitario de Recursos Naturales : Network for natural resources
Santo Domingo de las tsachilas: Santo Domingo is a new province located directly west of Pichincha, the province Quito is located in. Tsachilas are indigenous people known for dying their hair red.
El Teleferico: The ride in a gondola to the top of Pichincha mountain
El Trole: The cable car that runs north and south through Quito. It is located on Rio Amazonas Avenue which is west of the Metro
Tungurahua: The volcano in Ambato that erupted recently
Vecinos: Neighbors
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment