Hola todos! Wow, I am so sorry for not updating earlier. I literally have had no time to get online. I am actually using my host brother's computer and internet connection in my house right now. Speaking of my house, it's pretty sweet. I have my own room and bathroom with a wonderful view of an airplane. Oh that's right, I live right next to the landing strip! The airplanes are my neighbors. It's kind of like living next to the el in Chicago except that it is much cooler to watch airplanes take off and land from my patio than it is to watch a train pass by. The only downside is that they don't stop until 11PM at night and they start at 6AM. I am not a heavy sleeper so I guess this means I will be an earlier riser during my stay here. It's ok thought because the lack of sleep I have received is made up for by my fantastic host family
The Acostas:
I have a mother named Rosa and a father named Diego. My older brother is Fernando. He is 26 and plays in a percussion band called Tomback which is really good. I am listening to it right now actually. He is a goofball and lot's of fun. It's nice to have a brother around again. I also have a sister named Mace who works at a Spa (which she said I should come visit sometime). Her son is Jose and Camila is her daughter. They are 10 and 9 respectively. I can't get enough of them. Both are super bright and sweet. I taught them how to play Egyptian ratscrew the other night and Camila and I exchanged drawings. I am so glad I brought my markers with me. Jose loves Robbie Williams. He likes to put in on and turn up the volume of my headphones and sing along to Rock DJ. It made me smile because that song is Amanda and my favorite song to play when we need some pumping up. As soon as my new mami and papi picked me up I started chatting it up. I figure if I dive right into it, things will be much easier and they have been. I am not as worried about asking questions or if I can do something. Some of my classmates are definitely not comfortable with their families yet. It's only been 3 days and I feel like I know my family better than most, but talking a lot really helps. I know a lot more Spanish than I thought too. Words and conjugations are coming relatively easily to me and it just keeps getting easier. I could get used to that.
As for the house, it is very nice. There is a spacious living room and dining room, a big kitchen, a master bedroom downstairs as well as my bedroom and Mace, Camila, and Jose's room. I feel kind of bad because they all sleep in the same room while I have my own and my own bathroom. Upstairs is Fernando's room. He has a bedroom and a study of which I am in right now. There is also a patio up here too where I can watch the airplanes come in and out. I have a TV in my room which is fun because all there is to watch are telenovelas and news, which is fine with me. I have way too much fun trying to figure out all the drama that is going on in the telenovelas. They are also a great way to learn more Spanish. My family is definitely upper middle class. They gave me a cell phone to use while I am here. I just have to buy minutes. Not a problem. Most people are getting cell phones so we can communicate and go out with each other on the weekends. I am hoping that my brother takes me out some time. He said he would introduce me to his musician friends and what not. I think that would be a blast. It is funny how many things are the same here as at home like having a cell phone to be able to call home easily and having internet in the house. It is not the norm though. Most people here do not have computers or internet in their homes and use cafes instead. It is going to be a bigger change if I have my internship somewhere in the countryside. I am OK with that though. I really wasn't planning on getting a phone but it is nice to have one.
San Miguel de los Bancos:
Yesterday we got up super early and drove about 2 and a half hours to los bancos during which we drove through the most pronounced rainbow I have ever seen. The mountains are notorious for having beautiful arco irises. There are 19 of us all together in the MSID group that went to los bancos yesterday and the majority of them are from U of I even though it is a U of Minn. program. Anyway, it is absolutely gorgeous there. We stayed at a really nice resort called el Encanto. We took a nice long hike down the mountain to a waterfall where everyone took a dip in the freezing cold but clear water. If I get the chance, I am going to put up pictures sometime soon. I just need to find somone with a laptop that has a slot for the memory card. Later in the evening we danced and sang a lot of karaoke. It was a blast. I really like my classmates. They are a lot of fun. The next morning we got to stand on the Equator and see how the gravitational pull is different. Each of us stood in the center of this circle as our guide walked forward with two metal sticks and as he walked forward the sticks would cross showing us how large our energy circle or aura was. I didn't have a very big one. Apparently, it means that I am more succeptable to sickness. Go figure, I am pretty sure I have sinitus right now. I have had a dull pain in my forhead betwen my eyes and in my nose for the past few days. I am planning on going to see someone about it on Monday. I just need to get some antibiotics. I feel better in terms of altitude sickness. I feel like I can breathe normally again. As for the cleanliness of the air in Quito (to answer your questions Dad) I would say that is pretty clear. You can see for miles and the view is gorgeous. It smells good too. It smelled even better in los bancos por supuesto (of course).
Things are going pretty well I would say. We had a day of classes on Thursday with three conferencias which are lectures about biodiversity in Ecuador, politics, and culture. We then had two hours of Spanish which was mostly introducing ourselves. I am looking forward to going to class. Everything is in Spanish which is exactly what I wanted.
I am not feeling homesick yet which is good. I remember the adjustment to college was a little bit of a challenge because of the culture change and I know that there is more adjusting to do which will probably bring some homesickness with it but I am ready for it so it shouldn't be too bad.
Hasta al pronto!
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment