Sunday, January 27, 2008

Camino a Cimas

All right! Second day in a row for postings. Today I walked to Cimas from my house which is about 2 and a half miles away. It took me about an hour. It was really nice. I love how easy it is to get around Quito. After I made it there I stopped at a pharmacy and bought some sinus medication which has been wonderful so far. I also stopped and had some pan dulce which is sweet bread. I love the food here. It is muy rica as they say which is very rich. I would definitely agree. There is soup at dinner and always rice with everything. After I got back my mami and papi took me the supermarket which was inside a centro commercial or a mall. They have anything you could need in that mall. If I wanted to feel like I was in the US that is where I would go. We didn't stay long. However, it is nice to know that if I need to buy something I can most likely get a hold of it in Quito.

Tomorrow is the start of the first full week of classes and then next weekend we have four days off for Carnaval. I am really excited. My family invited me to go to Santo Domingo with them if I wanted but I might stay here and celebrate. On the other hand, Santo Domingo could be really cool. It would be a great chance to see more of Ecuador no? Anyway, I am excited. Kids celebrate with water balloons and foam from a spray bottle. I forgot the name of it though. We got covered in it when we were returning from los bancos yesterday.

All right, I guess I should get some reading done for tomorrow. Hasta leugo!

2 comments:

Clif Brown said...

What is los bancos. I think of banco in Spanish as either a bench or a bank. Is it a natural landform?

Is the airport for small planes (avoinetas) or is it a commercial (jet) airport (aviones)?

Amy Royse Brown said...

Bancos refers to the riverbanks. The airport is for all the planes that come into Quito. They are planning on building a new airport and turning the existing one into a park but it won't be happening for another few years.